By Tammi C. Walker
When you think of your life are you happy with the results? Do you enjoy your life to the fullest? Is it filled with many moments of laughter, fun and happiness? Or do you feel like something is missing? I know it is a lot going on with work/career, family, finances, social life, health, etc.
As I speak to different people I can kind of see the great divide. The ones that are happy and fulfilled are the people that are always doing something very different and trying new adventures. They also seem to have balance and spend time cultivating their minds. They also know when to pull the plug to social media and go within. It is so important to find great balance.
The ones who are not fulfilled are at times driven by fear or caught up in the same old same. Each week has become a very dull and boring routine. Being driven by fear can cause you to do absolutely nothing. For example if your weekly routine is go to work Monday through Friday, buy groceries and maybe visit a family member. This can become mundane and routine. You have to add something different in your week. What is it you really and truly love? This is what gives others fulfillment. For me it is music, life coaching, traveling, spending quality time with my guy, playing tennis, traveling, volunteering with American Cancer Society, etc. Of course I don’t get to travel weekly but I incorporate that throughout the year. I live in Chicago but we do have indoor tennis courts and I am going to check one out and book us a court. I have friends that I get together with once a month or every other. I also spend time with my 2 nieces and 2 great nephews. Their ages range from 2-9 years old and need I say more. You already know they keep me on my toes! I do not have any children but I feel like I do with having them around. Spending time with my nieces and nephews bring me great joy. Children are innocent and provide a different vibe than the everyday same old same.
I guess I am just trying to say, try something different and new. Get out of your shell and routine. Life will become more fulfilling for you. Life is what we make of it. Try not to sit around and wait on someone to do something with you or for you instead create your own fun! Make it happen on your own.
A new year is just a few weeks away. Make it your goal to have fun and to enjoy your life in 2015. I will leave you with a few tips to help you make your life become more fulfilled.
- As Nike says, “Just Do It”.
- Write down a list of things you want to do or create a bucket list and attack it.
- Look for a play, art festival, etc and attend it.
- Join a book club
- Volunteer, volunteer and volunteer. Nothing makes you feel better than to serve others.
- Adopt a pet.
- What is your hobby? Go and take lessons, join a chess club, hire a vocal coach, take a dance class.
- Exercise, exercise, exercise.
- Travel so much to see in this beautiful world.
- Talk to an elderly relative or friend.
- Mentor a youth.
- Change careers and try to get paid for what you truly love.
- Start your own business on the side.
- If the person you are dating keeps cancelling on you, cancel on them permanently.
- Learn to swim (I am talking to myself here) or do something you have been putting off.
Here is to creating the life that you will love!