You may not think about it much, but the clothes you decide to wear are an expression of your feelings. Days when you are feeling down, you will just put on anything not really caring or taking time to do anything special. But on those days when you feel great, you want to look your best and may even do a little extra to make sure that you do. It is often said the “clothes do not make the person” but as you think about how you dress yourself think about how you are feeling is reflected in what you put on.
Some examples of how your feelings and clothing are connected include:
- When you purchase and wear new workout attire. You tend to feel more serious about your workout and like you got a better workout. You are thinking the new shoes were more comfortable and helped you run better or the new shorts fit better so you were able to get a better leg workout.
- When you dress up for a wedding or other special event, you are excited and ready to put your best foot forward. You get dressed and feel confident about your looks and it shows in the way you walk and present yourself to others.
- And think about the episode of Scandal when Mellie was depressed after their son died and refused to change out of her pajamas and bathrobe. Her attire visibly showed she was feeling sad and depressed but in other episodes where she was happy she easily slipped into a dress, heels, and put on her pearls.
- Remember the time you wore something too small or something that was just uncomfortable. You probably felt self-conscious and couldn’t wait to get back home out of sight or to simply change your outfit.
- Then there is the time you wore your favorite outfit and no one could tell you anything. You felt comfortable and confident; you wanted to make sure everyone saw you and you took plenty of selfies.
As you see your feelings are closely connected with the clothes you wear. At times when you are feeling down you do not really think about the clothing you will wear; that’s if you decide to get dressed at all. When you wear clothes that are comfortable and attractive to you, you tend to be happier and more confident, but clothing you do not like or that is uncomfortable tends to make you feel less confident or make you worry more.
Consider going through your closet today and donating those outfits that seem to bring you down. Who knows, those same clothes might lift the spirits of someone else!