Staying true to your Christian values in today’s sexually charged society is a mind game. The question is, “Are you playing to win?” or are you simply hoping to just break even?
Single Christian ladies, this message is for you (It’s also good for guys too!) and it might touch a sensitive nerve and I confess upfront that some parts might sting or rub you the wrong way. Regardless of the emotions that might arise as you read, I challenge you to keep reading because I am going to show you how to avoid being a victim of today’s sex crazed culture.
Maintaining your Christian values in a progressively promiscuous and sexually charged society is not complicated when you renew your mind to what God has to say about the matter and make the decision to live the values of Christ as appose to the version trumped up by social norms and political acceptance. The complication comes into play when you try to tweak what God’s Word says about the matter or when you try to live Christian values without Christ, which is not possible. (John 15:5) Any attempt to do so, will result in utter failure. There is no middle ground.
Yes, I know that we live in a society where sex has been watered down to just a simple act with no more significance than blowing your nose. Yes, I realize that most of the magazine ads and television commercials use sex as a way to sell everything from toothpaste to drain cleaner all while boasting the joys of sex without commitment…without a covenant. Yes, I know that Christians who choose not to partake in sex before marriage are viewed as boring, old school, nerdy and just plain stupid by some. SO WHAT! If you are a Christian and you want to live the values of Christ, you are going to have to find out what the Bible says and determine in your heart that God’s values are your values — PERIOD. For those who say, the temptation is too much…
“No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13
Begin to renew your mind to God’s Word; meditate on what He says and let Him instruct you on how to accomplish it and when you do, you will see the results manifest in your life. Renewing your mind is not a one-time process but a continual process that requires commitment.
So, where do you start?
- Pray and ask God to reveal to you in His Word how you can live a pure life in the midst of the sexual temptation you face every day.
- Listen to the Holy Spirit. Unless your conscious has been greatly seared, you know when you doing something inappropriate. Don’t ignore that nudge!
- Remove yourself from tempting situations.Protect your eyes and ears, as they are gates to your spirit and heart. This means that you are going to have to walk out on some conversations. Stop watching certain movies and television programs and stop socializing with certain people.
“Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” 1 Corinthians 15:33 (NIV)
“Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.” Proverbs 4:23 (ESV)
- Speak up.Don’t be scared! Everyone else is speaking up and giving their views and opinions regarding the matter, you should do the same. Let people know that you are choosing to live Christ-centered values.
- Find support.Surround yourself with like-minded people. NOTE: If pornography is a problem, you are facing. (Yes, this is a real struggle for some women.) Don’t keep it in the dark. Get help. Find an accountability partner and add parental controls to your computer and smart phone that prohibit you from accessing the material and if you do, your accountability partner will be notified.
“If you’re losing the battle against a persistent bad habit, an addiction, or a temptation, and you’re stuck in a repeating cycle of good intention-failure-guilt, you will not get better on your own. You need the help of other people. Some temptations are only overcome with the help of a partner who prays for you, encourages you, and holds you accountable.” Rick Warren, Author of The Purpose Driven Life
For those who are thinking that it is too late because you have already fallen into the sexual trap ─it is NOT too late! God’s love for you is so great that He has and always will extend His mercy and grace to you. You can start fresh today. No matter what road you have traveled and what you have done along the way. When you ask for forgiveness, God is merciful to forgive you and to forget that you ever sinned. He will never hold it against you again nor will He bring it up. With that in mind, neither should you, nor should you let anyone else throw your past transgressions in your face. Within you is a power far stronger than you can image. All you have to do is to tap into the source with an open heart and a will to be obedient. It is your time to rise up!
Thanks for letting me speak into your life. I pray that God will open the eyes of your understanding and provide you with His strength to live your life to the fullest using every tool available to you through Him.